ARCH 7036-004 / ARCH5051.Elective Arch Theory Seminar. Spring semester. DAAP, UC.
Design in the Age of Metaverse and Extended Reality
Instructor: Ming Tang. Director, Extended Reality Lab. XR-Lab, Associate Professor, SAID, DAAP, University of Cincinnati
This seminar course focuses on the intersection of architecture design, and interior design with immersive visualization technologies, including Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Digital Twin, social VR, and real-time simulation. The class will explore the new spatial experience in the virtual realm and analyze human perceptions through hand-tracking, body-tracking, haptic simulation, and various sensory inputs. Students will learn both the theoretical framework and hands-on skills on XR development. The course will provide students exposure to the Oculus Quest, Teslasuit, Hololens technologies, and wearable sensors. Students are encouraged to propose their own or group research on the subject of future design with XR.
Hardware: Oculus Quest, and Hololens were provided by the course.
Student Research Project
- Emma Banks. ShapesXR
- Tyler Wilson. Hololens and Fologram
- Roger Chanin From Twinmotion to Unreal
- Nick Eartman. Adobe Aero for Augmented Reality
- Kyle Beck. Second Life
- Nick Chism.Wikitude for Augmented Reality
- Peter Iskandar.Essay: Experiential Reality – Unveiling an Augmented Potential
AR for community engagement. Price Hill
- Thesis: Layered space.
- Thesis: Cyber-Physical Experiences: Architecture as Interface
- Thesis: Virtually Interactive DAAP
Recommended podcast on Metaverse