Immersive vs. Traditional Training – a comparison of training modalities
PIs: Tamara Lorenz, Ming Tang
- Dr. Tamara Lorenz. Associate Professor. Embodied Interactive Systems Lab, Industry 4.0 & 5.0 Institute (I45I), Center for Cognition, Action, and Perception (CAP)
- Ming Tang. Associate Professor. Extended Reality Lab, Industry 4.0 & 5.0 Institute (I45I), Institute for Research in Sensing (IRiS)
Consortium Research Project: evaluate the effectiveness of an immersive training protocol against different traditional training modalities.
Grant. $40,000. By UC Industry 4.0/5.0 Institute 01.2023-01.2024
- Is immersive training equally as effective or better than traditional training?
- Is immersive training beneficial for specific types of training (skill, behavior), while other modalities are better for other types (e.g. knowledge acquisition)?
- Does the benefit of immersive VR training warrant the initial investment in equipment and subsequent investment in project building, running, and sustenance?
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of an immersive training protocol against different traditional training modalities.
- Evaluation of modality-dependent benefits for different learning goals.
- Derivation of assessment metrics for VR training against other training modalities.
Training scenario: DAAP Fire Evacuation
traditional training with slides and maps.
VR training with an immersive and interactive experience.
Thanks to the Institute’s Industrial Advisory Board (IAB) and industry patrons, including Siemens, Kinetic Vision, John Deere, Stress Engineering Services, Innovative Numberics, and Ethicon.
Next Phase experiments
At UC News
New UC institute looks ahead to ‘Industry 5.0’. UC will harness collective talent across campus to help companies solve new challenges. by Michael Miller. December 8, 2022