PLAN5199/6099-001: Sustainable Urbanism in China (3/4 cr.)
UGRAD/GRAD STUDENTS FROM ALL MAJORS ARE WELCOME
Spring 2018 (with travel to China, April 29 – May 13, 2018)
Seminar course, with faculty-led travel to China, focusing on the concept and practice of urban sustainability from a global perspective. Through field study across various disciplines, the course examines many of most challenging urban sustainability issues. The course provides students with experiential learning in the application of the current theories, models and methods to specific, real-world issues of sustainable urbanism as they are currently being confronted in China, one of the world’s most rapidly developing countries.
The course is open to both undergraduate and graduate students in all disciplines
The study abroad component:
• Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai and Hangzhou, China, April 29 – May 13, 2018* (*tentative)
• Experiential learning – understanding the lives of Chinese college students
• Staying at a Chinese university and interacting with Chinese students
• Unique connections to significant cultural, environmental and urban development sites
Who is in charge of this program?
• Prof. Chris Auffrey (firstname.lastname@example.org),
• Prof. Ming Tang (email@example.com), School of Architecture and Interior Design, DAAP
• Paula Breslin (firstname.lastname@example.org), Environmental Studies Program, A&S
• Prof. Xi Chen, (email@example.com), Dept. of Geography, A&S
Are any foreign colleges or universities involved?
This program is associated with:
• Beijing Jiaotong University, China
Your costs: $2,690** (~$3,490 less $800 grant from UC International)
**Includes all international airfares and travel in China, accommodations and many meals).
To participate: Enroll in PLAN5199-001 (3-4 cr. UG), PLAN6099-001 (3-4 cr. Grad), and complete the UC International study abroad application).