Final Presentation_DianeGuoandVictoriaSaunders

dGuo_vSaunders_FinalPresentation

500-1000 Word Design Process:

Our project is designed as a simple shape that rotates to create complexity. We wanted to show that even with a simple, static shape, movement could be created and building performance could be improved. Our system can be set up to respond to any parameter such as day lighting, ventilation, drainage, views, usage, etc. For this prototype we designed it to respond to day lighting.

The gradient that drives the rotation of the petals was taken from an EcoTect image that tested the daylight quality on the bridge connecting the Alms building and the DAA building above the blue box. The south facing circulation bridge is rendered unusable due to its over exposure to the sun. In this case, the installation acts as a shading device that allows daylight to come through in certain areas and be blocked out on other areas.

For this location the design called for a lot of shading, bringing the petals very close together; this lead to the issue of collisions during our design process. Before sending the files to the RPC we created a full digital model of the prototype, and found that some of the petals collided with surrounding petals or supports. We considered combing or cutting those petals that collided, but felt that this went against the purpose of our design. Our solution was to spread out the supports slightly, creating a less dense system. The result we felt was improved by this decision, because it created more variety in the amount of light that came through the petals.

An issue that arose during the fabrication process of our prototype was the need to have an entire second set of petals laser cut. We did not want to label the petals with a numbering system or anything else to make each petal unique as we felt this went against our intentions. So we decided to use tabs to keep all the petals in the sheet until we could label the back’s. But there turned out to be a deficiency in tabs on our petal files that we sent to the RPC. With reference to the RPC site we chose the width of the tabs and assumed that two tabs would be enough to hold each petal in place, this did not turn out to be the case. The first time we went to the RPC to pick up our prototype our petals had all fallen out of their frames. After explaining the issue to the RPC, they graciously agreed to re-cut the petals with three times as many tabs that were twice as thick as the originals to ensure that the petals did not fall out a second time. This change was successful and we were able to label all the petals on the back, before assembling the prototype.

This project was interesting in its process and results. It was a challenge to create the rotation of the pieces to display a sense of scattered chaos on top of the ordered system that needed to be in place for fabrication. It was also a challenge to ensure that none of the chaos collided as well as assemble the chaos. But in the process of this design we learned some of the uses and capabilities of several programs, checking is always advantageous, and that tabbing should be overdone. This process resulted in a prototype that could be used to test this systems ability to affect the thermal properties of a space, as well as in proof that complexity could come from the rotation of a simple, static shape.

P2_Diane Guo and Victoria Saunders_Parametric + Performance driven design

We wanted to implement the idea of the basic unit morphing through rotation derived from both our case studies. We designed a petal form, which rotates in two directions creating a gradient from very ordered to very chaotic. The gradient can respond to factors such as light, views, and ventilation. These petals are held in place by structural strips that run horizontally with protrusions that fit through the slots in the top of the petal. This structure is held in place by slots in three vertical members and the entire system is assembled without adhesives or hardware.

p1_Victoria Saunders_23ARCH719 001

Warehouse Renovation

Three old warehouses, originally used to store fabrics, were given new life and a new skin. Archi-Union Architects, based in Shanghai, converted the center warehouse into an outdoor recreational space and lobby to serve the side warehouses which were converted into an exhibition hall and studio space. For the renovation the roof was left intact and the warehouses wrapped on three sides with glass shaded by a cinder block fabric.

The blocks angle according to a parametric program to control the amount of light that enters the building. The amount of light is determined mainly by the needs of the inner program. The resulting effect is of silk blowing in the wind to reference the building’s history. The choice of cinder blocks as a material adds to the historical references in the renovation.

This project shows the possibilities of parametric modeling, by its use in a renovation versus new construction. Parametric modeling can be used to make old, run-down spaces functional and more energy efficient, and it can be used with ordinary, everyday materials like cinder blocks.

Warehouse Renovation by Archi-Union Architects